Across The Catalyst Care Group, and in particular within our service user facing companies (Nurseline Healthcare, LD Network, Leaf Complex Care, Unique Nursing Services and Nurseline Community Services), we recognise that we support some of the most vulnerable people in our health and social care system and that this support is provided by a diverse and multi-cultural workforce, many of whom travel regularly and have family and friends visiting from overseas.
We recognise the risk that Coronavirus (COVID-19) presents to all members of the population, particularly those with underlying health conditions and those less able to participate in self-care.
We acknowledge that as a supporting partner to the healthcare providers and private families alongside whom we work that we need to be proactive in supporting our clinicians’ awareness of the risks involved and the actions that they can take to protect both themselves and those in their care from infection.
As such, we are:
- Advising each and every clinician working with us to be vigilant with regard to the symptoms of Coronavirus – a cough, high temperature and shortness of breath – and to seek medical advice by dialling 111 should they notice these symptoms in themselves or a service user
- Asking all our clinicians, through our internal communication systems, to notify us immediately if they have travelled to or transited through (or live with someone who has travelled from or transited through) any of the affected areas in line with government advice if they have already returned to work or, if they are yet to return to work, to notify us before doing so
- Reminding all our clinicians of the need for high standards of personal hygiene and recommending that they avoid, wherever possible, physical contact with others
- Advising all clinicians to check with the specific services and settings in which they are working for any localised enhanced infection control procedures which may have been implemented
- Ensuring that, in the event that we are notified of any incidents of infection within any of the services that we support, we contact all clinicians who may have been exposed to the virus and advise them to take the necessary precautions and actions in line with government advice available at the time
- Ensuring that, in the event that we are notified of any incidents of infection of any of our clinicians, we contact the Line Manager of every service that they have worked with in the contagious period of the virus within 4 hours of notification, as well as any Catalyst Care Group employees that they may have been in contact with, seeking medical advice from NHS 111 prior to providing relevant advice to those we inform
- Advising our clinicians who have travelled from any of the current affected areas (list updated as at 10 March) to act as detailed:
- Return from Italy (outside specific areas in northern Italy) before 9 March or in the last 14 days from: mainland China outside of Hubei province, South Korea outside of Daegu, Cheongdo and Gyeongsan, Cambodia, Hong Kong, Japan, Laos, Macau, Malaysia, Myanmar, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam – stay indoors and avoid contact with others if experiencing high temperature, cough or shortness of breath, even if symptoms are mild. Use the 111 online Coronavirus service (https://111.nhs.uk/service/covid-19) to find out what to do next.
- Return from anywhere in Italy on or after 9 March or in the last 14 days from specific areas in northern Italy, Iran, Hubei province in China, Daegu, Cheongdo or Gyeongsan in South Korea – stay indoors and avoid contact with other people even if no symptoms are present. Use the 111 online Coronavirus service to find out what to do next.
- Checking the Government guidance daily updates issued at 2pm (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/wuhan-novel-coronavirus-information-for-the-public) for any further updates which may need to inform our policies, processes and the advice we provide and circulating this information as relevant
- Referring to the Public Health Guidelines for healthcare providers on a regular basis to check for updates (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-guidance-for-healthcare-providers-with-staff-who-have-travelled-to-china/guidance-for-healthcare-providers-healthcare-workers-who-have-travelled-to-china)